UK Immigration FAQs


Why do I need an immigration lawyer?

Immigration legislation and procedure is recognized as one of the most fast-moving and complex areas of law that some more general law firms shy away from or approach half-heartedly; we are experts in our field because we concentrate solely on this area of law. Submitting the wrong or incomplete documentation can be very costly with government application fees now running to thousands of pounds.

How long will my case take?

When it comes to preparing your application, this is very much dependent on how quickly you can provide the information and documentation required. The period of consideration of the application once submitted to the Home Office is largely dictated by the category of application, the relevant Home Office service standard, whether the application is submitted in-country or overseas and the complexity of your matter. We can provide you with a realistic timescale for the conclusion of your matter from the outset based on the volume of applications we submit and our experience both as advisors and previously as decision makers.

How much will I have to pay?

We provide confirmation of both our fees and any additional costs (eg VAT and application fees) before we start work on your matter and your written agreement to the same. We can provide both fixed fees and estimates (a quotation based on the anticipated time taken to complete the work on your matter and the applicable hourly rate)dependent on the type and complexity of the matter with any increases notified and agreed in advance. Our standard fee structure is 50% of our fee plus VAT on instruction with the balance plus any disbursements (eg application fee) payable on completion of our work for you. Periodic payments and payment plans can be arranged dependent on the type and complexity of the matter.

Who will deal with my case?

A consultant at Director level will be responsible for your matter from start to finish.

What information and documents will I need?

We will provide you with a detailed, bespoke schedule in writing, tailored to your individual circumstances; we will not provide you with a generic list.we will provide you with a detailed, bespoke schedule in writing, tailored to your individual circumstances; we will not provide you with a generic list.

How will I be contacted/contact my consultant?

That is your choice – we have the facility to communicate with you by email, mobile or landline, text/WhatsApp, mail/post; we also have an emergency out-of-hours facility available 24/7.

What will happen if my application is refused?

We will examine the reasons for the refusal, discuss these with you in person and advise you on the best course of action subject to relevant legislation.

When can I apply?

Most applications to the Home Office can be submitted up to 28 days before the current permission to remain expires.


Switching from one immigration category to another whilst remaining in the UK is permitted in certain circumstances and we can confirm your eligibility once we know your current status and proposed application route; as a general rule, you are not normally permitted to switch from a short-term (ie six months or less) category.

What is a BRP?

You’ll get a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months, extend your visa to longer than 6 months, apply to settle in the UK, transfer your visa to a new passport or apply for certain Home Office travel documents. Your BRP will include your name, date and place of birth; your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your biometric information), your immigration status and any conditions of your stay and whether you can access public funds, for example benefits and health services.

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your BRP. Not all BRPs have this – it depends on factors like the date it was issued and your visa status.

You can use your BRP to confirm youridentity, your right to study or work in the UK and your right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to.

What is the IHS?

The IHS is the Immigration Health Surcharge which is a fee payable to the government at the time of application where permission to enter or remain for more than six months is being sought; it equates to approximately £200 for each year of leave being applied for.

Call us now on: +44 (0)333 939 8601

We are with E2W since 2012 for all our immigration matters and they never let us down. E2W has best immigration lawyers in U.K.
And special Thanks to Ms. Paris Sazida.

Himanshu Patel

contact us at E2W.

phone us

Click Here

phone us

Click Here

make an enquiry

Click here

Book a consultation

Click here

talk to an expert

Click here

E2W are proud to have helped: